Team BC Update
The BC Games Society is pleased to have assumed responsibility for the Team BC program from the Sport Branch as a result of the May 2012 recommendations resulting from the sport sector review. The addition of this program to our existing BC Winter and BC Summer Games responsibilities will allow for economies of scale and efficiencies in systems, processes, and communications.
In April 2013 we began the transfer of the program but worked collaboratively with the Sport Branch, recognizing that the planning and preparation for the Sherbrooke 2013 Canada Summer Games was well underway.
Jarret Poitras joined our staff in April as the new Team BC Operations Manager. He was an existing member of the Mission Staff for the 2013 Canada Summer Games and had the opportunity to shadow the Executive Team and play an active role leading up to and at the Games.
Sport Branch staff members Judy Joseph Black and Chris Graham, have played a key role in sharing their depth of knowledge through numerous transfer of knowledge meetings. A full evaluation of Team BC will take place in late November with recommendations to follow.
We appreciate the ongoing commitment of the sport sector to the Team BC program and we will ensure the PSOs and the sector are informed about initiatives we are undertaking to complete the transition and the next steps for planning towards the Prince George 2015 Canada Winter Games and the Wood Buffalo 2015 Western Canada Summer Games.
Team Development Grant
All Canada Summer and Winter Games sports are eligible to receive an annual team development grant through the performance funding envelope. Funding for the 2015 Games cycle is determined by the number of athletes in the Canada Winter Games and Western Canada Summer Games sport technical packages. This equates to approximately $826.00 per athlete for a grand total of $500,000 between all summer and winter sports. Funding will be approved and allocated by working with your Athlete Development Advisor and ViaSport.
November 15, 2013 - Call for Chef and Assistant Chef applications for 2015 Western Canada Games
Late November - Announcement of Team BC Chef and Assistant Chef for 2015 Canada Winter Games
January 10, 2014 - Call for Mission Staff Applications for 2015 Canada Winter Games and 2015 Western Canada Games
April 2014 - Provincial Sport Organization Meetings with Operations Manager
February 2014 - PSOs name coaches for 2015 Canada Winter Games
August 2014 - PSOs name coaches for 2015 Western Canada Summer Games
Updates from Host Societies
Prince George 2015 Canada Winter Games
• Nine staff members attended the 2013 Canada Games
• 1,500 volunteers recruited towards the goal of 4,500
• “Get in the Games: 1 Year to volunteer campaign" underway
• KIN 1 Centre - largest capital project is 86% finished
• 13 test events scheduled
• Currently at 42% of the fundraising goal
• Celebrated 500 Day out mark on Sept. 30th
• Launched first episode of Canada Games TV: powered by ViaSport - a behind-the-scenes show about the Canada Games that will air twice-daily at Games time
• Launched new website www.canadagames2015.ca
Wood Buffalo 2015 Western Canada Summer Games
• Technical representatives from each province met in Fort McMurray October 1-3
• Technical committee completed a venue tour
• Community has high quality multiuse facilities that will be utilized for the Games
• Strong corporate support with a recent $1 million contribution by SunCor Energy
• More information available at www.2015woodbuffalo.com
Should you have any questions regarding any aspect of Team BC, please contact us:
President and CEO, BC Games Society
Team BC Operations Manager