It was an eight-medal day for British Columbia at the PEI 2023 Canada Winter Games on Wednesday as Team BC stayed near the top of the medal standings.
Team BC Today
- Curling (F): In curling (F), Team BC lost to Saskatchewan today, but has one more pool play game on Thursday against Ontario to try to advance.
- Gymnastics: An up-and-down day in gymnastics was capped by a gold medal from 13-year-old Brooklyn Lee-McMeeken (Pitt Meadows) in the trampoline individual event.
- Karate: BC continued to bring in the medals on Wednesday thanks to a bronze from Ciara Browne and a silver from Haruki Mori.
- Ringette: Ontario came out on top in the final preliminary game for Team BC. The team will face off against Alberta in a Quarterfinal on Thursday.
- Speed Skating (Long): BC put together top ten finishes in long track competition at the Halifax Oval, including a sixth place finish in female team pursuit. More finals in 5000m, 3000m, and male team pursuit await on Thursday.
- Squash: A day after sweeping the gold medals in individual competition, BC swept their men’s and women’s team matches against the Northwest Territories. Team competition continues on Thursday with medals being handed out.
- Table Tennis: It was another bronze day for Team BC in table tennis with both the male and female duos picking up medals in the team events.David Mandelstam (Vancouver) now has three bronze medals at the Canada Winter Games. Every member of the BC table tennis contingent now has at least one medal in PEI.
- Wheelchair Basketball: BC capped off a perfect round robin with a 69-43 victory over Alberta on Wednesday. A 3-0 record in preliminary play earns BC a trip straight to the semifinal on Friday.
- Gold | Brooklyn Lee-McMeeken | Gymnastics - Trampoline | Individual (F)
- Gold | Tate Garrod | Freestyle Ski | Slopestyle
- Silver | Aidan Mulvihill | Freestyle Ski | Slopestyle
- Silver | Haruki Mori | Karate | -68kg Kumite
- Bronze | Jordan Peet | Freestyle Ski | Slopestyle
- Bronze | Ciara Browne | Karate | -59kg Kumite
- Bronze | Zonggang Li and David Mandelstam | Table Tennis (M) Team
- Bronze | Louise Fan and Sofia Li | Table Tennis (F) Team
Team BC Talks
Brooklyn Lee-McMeeken (Pitt Meadows) | Gymnastics | on winning a gold at her first Canada Games.
"I am extremely happy to win such a tough competition with such a talented group of girls. All my hard work is paying off with this gold medal. I would like to thank my parents for always being there for me and my dad for driving me to training everyday. I‘d also like to thank my coaches for helping me get to where I am today and always supporting me.”
Ciara Browne (Penticton) | Karate | on winning a bronze medal.
“It feels really good to see work pay off. I am excited to keep training and come back stronger the next time”
Haruki Mori (Richmond) | Karate | on winning silver - his second medal of the Games.
“To be honest, I just switched my mind from Kata to Kumite. I just got ready for it with some help from my fellow teammates. Their practice helped me a lot to be able to get a silver.”
Jordan Peet | Freestyle skiing | on winning her second medal of the games in 12 hours.
“Honestly, it‘s crazy to be out here in PEI. Big air last night was a fun event and to come out on top was so awesome. Today, I was so tired, but I just had to put it out and the judges gave me a good score, so that‘s so sick.
Tate Garrod (Vernon) | Freestyle skiing | on winning gold after a long deliberation by judges.
“I was just kind of reviewing back through the runs and what tricks were done. We got gold and silver [teammate Aiden Mulvihill]. So, I‘m really stoked.”
Aiden Mulvihill | Freestyle skiing | on winning silver in slopestyle.
“The first run I did, I kind of messed it up. So, I had to improvise. Coming into the second run, I thought, let‘s just go out and have fun and try my best.”
David Mandelstam (Vancouver) | Table Tennis | on winning his third bronze medal of the Games
“It‘s really cool to keep getting medals. Every single one has been bronze. It‘s really great. But, I‘m trying to go even further and exceed my expectations and get a silver or even a gold against the top provinces like Ontario or Quebec. Now, we finally have the individual singles event. It‘s probably the most stressful and most difficult one.”
Louise Fan (Burnaby) | Table Tennis - F Team event | on winning bronze.
“I feel really proud of myself. I tried my very best. This is the best match I‘ve had so far.”
Sophia Li (Burnaby) | Table Tennis | on Team BC support at her matches and on winning bronze.
“My coach has given me the mental support and my teammates and all of the mission staff have been cheering us on. That has helped me concentrate and boost my confidence”
Matthew Norris (Langley) | Wheelchair basketball | on beating Alberta to send BC straight to the semis.
“Playing a game like that with one of the better teams in our pool is a bit nerve wracking. But we all calmed ourselves down. We just focused on our game and didn‘t let anything else distract us.”
Team BC Tomorrow (Thursday, Feb. 23)
*medal opportunity | Times in AST (PST +4hrs)
9:00am – Karate | +59kg (F) and +68kg Kumite | Preliminary | Canada Games Multi-Sport Dome At Credit Union Place
9:00am – Squash (F) | Team Competition vs Quebec | Preliminary | Eastlink Centre
9:20am – Speed Skating (Short) | 500m Quarterfinals Start | North Rustico Canada Games Centre
*9:30am – Gymnastics (Trampoline) | Team Event Female Final Starts | Eastlink Centre
*9:45am – Speed Skating (Long) | 5000m (M) Final | Halifax Oval
*10:00am – Biathlon (M) | 12.5km Individual | Final | Mark Arendz Provincial Ski Park at Brookvale
10:00am – Curling (F) | vs Ontario | Preliminary | The Silver Fox Entertainment Complex
10:00am – Table Tennis | Individual Competition | Round 1 | PEI Convention Centre
11:00am – Table Tennis | Individual Competition | Round 2 | PEI Convention Centre
12:00pm – Table Tennis | Individual Competition | Round 3 | PEI Convention Centre
*12:00pm – Karate | +59kg (F) and +68kg (M) Kumite | Finals | Canada Games Multi-Sport Dome At Credit Union Place
12:30pm – Squash (M) | Team Competition vs PEI | Preliminary | Eastlink Centre
12:30pm – Ringette | vs Alberta | Quarterfinal | Cavendish Farms Wellness Centre, Three Rivers
*1:00pm – Biathlon (F) | 10km Individual | Final | Mark Arendz Provincial Ski Park at Brookvale
*1:10pm – Speed Skating (Long) | 3000m (F) Final | Halifax Oval
*1:22pm – Speed Skating (Short) | 500m Finals Start | North Rustico Canada Games Centre
*1:34pm – Speed Skating (Long) | Team Pursuit Final | Halifax Oval
2:33pm – Speed Skating (Short) | 1000m Preliminary Start | North Rustico Canada Games Centre
*4:30pm – Gymnastics (Artistic) | All Around Female Final | Norton Diamond Soccer Complex
*5:30pm – Squash (F) | Team Competition | Final | Eastlink Centre
8:00pm – Hockey (M) | vs Manitoba | Quarterfinal | Eastlink Centre